Apply to own a home
Applications will be accepted through August 31, 2023.
How do I apply?
1. Apply online; and,
2. Mail or drop off supporting documentation to:
Dubuque and Jackson County Habitat for Humanity
900 Jackson Street
Dubuque, IA 52001
Upon request, we will provide paper applications and interpretation services. Please call 563-556-2195 or email for more information.
If you are not ready to apply, sign up for the Path to Homeownership mailing list and we notify you when the next application cycle opens.
What to expect
- We are excited you are here and interested in partnering with Habitat to become a homeowner. Habitat’s path to homeownership is a process that requires hard work and dedication. We partner with you because we want you to experience long-term financial success.
- Applicants that submit complete applications will be notified of income eligibility within 30 days of submission. An application is considered complete when we receive all of your supporting documentation. We will notify you by mail or email if you application is incomplete and provide you a timeline to provide additional information.
- The Homeowner Selection & Support Committee reviews income eligible applications and makes recommendations for program participation. The Board of Directors approves final applications.
- A partnership agreement will be developed to define how Habitat will partner with you to provide better housing conditions.
- Habitat homebuyers complete more than 200 hours of volunteering, training, and education before they buy a home.
- It can take 12 to 24 months to complete the Homeownership Program. The timeline might seem long, but we designed it to allow the education, volunteer hours, and time to build your home.
- Habitat volunteers and partners will assist with the construction of a home that meets your needs, and,
- provide affordable financing so your monthly payments do not exceed 30% of your household income.
- We will celebrate the completion of your partnership agreement! This can be a home dedication, house warming, or open house to recognize the work of volunteers, sponsors, donors, and your commitment to creating a stable future for yourself and your family.
- Home closing – you buy your home!
- Your monthly payments help us partner with the next family to build a home.
Notice: The federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act prohibits creditors from discriminating against credit applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age; because all or part of the applicant’s income derives from any public assistance program; or because the applicant has exercised in good faith any right under the Consumer Trade Commission, Washington, D.C. 30580
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, age, marital status, or sources of income.